Sponsored by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons® (ASPS®)
The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The ASPS designates this enduring material for a maximum of 5.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Patient Safety Credit: 0.5
Release Date: 12/1/2012
Expiration Date: 12/1/2015
Estimated time to complete this course: 5.0 hour
Minimum Post-test Score to Claim Credit: 80%
This educational activity is intended for plastic surgery practitioners, residents, and other healthcare professionals interested in translating expanded knowledge into practice for the improvement of patient outcomes in plastic and reconstructive surgery.
The Breast Surgery and Body Contouring Online Symposium is the first of its kind on PSEN. Based around surgical video content and lectures delivered at the 2012 Santa Fe symposium of the same name, this new PSEN mini-symposium delivers an array of expert faculty covering five aesthetic surgery techniques to keep you on the cutting edge of aesthetic surgical innovation. The techniques include:
Breast Augmentation Mastopexy
1. Augmentation Mastopexy Surgical Video performed by James C. Grotting, MD
2. Augmentation Mastopexy: 1 or 2 stages? presented by Scott L. Spear, MD
3. Augmentation Mastopexy: Minimizing Complications presented by Williams P. Adams, Jr, MD
The Art and Science Behind Fat Grafting
1. External Expansion and Lipoaugmentation Surgical Video performed by Daniel A. Del Vecchio, MD
2. The Science of Adipose Stem Cells presented by J. Peter Rubin, MD
3. Fat Grafting: Harvest and Preparation Techniques presented by John B. Hijjawi, MD
1. Oncoplastic Team Approach to Nipple-Sparing Mastectomy Surgical Video performed by Arthur H. Salibian, MD
2. Short Scar Techniques for Reduction Mammaplasty presented by Jeffrey M. Kenkel, MD
3. Reduction Mammaplasty and Inverted-T Techniques presented by Maurice Nahabedian, MD
1. Abdominoplasty with Progressive Tension Sutures Surgical Video performed by Todd A. Pollock, MD
2. Vertical-T Type Abdominoplasty presented by Jeffrey A. Gusenoff, MD
3. Dynamics of Abdominoplasty presented by Al Aly, MD
Buttock and Genital Plastic Surgery
1. Labia Majora and Labia Minora Reduction Surgical Video performed by Christine A. Hamori, MD
2. Augmentation Gluteoplasty presented by Jose Abel De La Pena, MD
Upon completion of the online course, the participant should be able to:
1. Describe the concepts involved in the preoperative evaluation of the breast augmentation patient.
2. Critically assess the strategies for managing capsular contracture.
3. Explain and implement techniques to minimize and manage complications.
4. Discuss the science of fat grafting.
5. Describe advanced techniques in body contouring.
6. Practice with improved awareness of, and response to, related patient safety issues and concerns.
Dr. Grotting is an advisory council member for Ideal Implant, Inc., and Keller Medical, Inc., an editor/author for Quality Medial Publishing and Elsevier, and a founder for CosmetAssure. Dr. Spear has a consultant relationship with Allergan and a consultant relationship with LifeCell Corporation/KCI. Dr. Adams has a research support recipient relationship with Mentor Corporation/Ethicon/J&J, a founder relationship with The Plastic Surgery Channel, a royalty recipient relationship with McGraw Hill, and a advisor relationship with Allergan. Dr. Del Vecchio has nothing to disclose. Dr. Rubin has a advisory board member relationship with Cohera Medical and a grant recipient relationship with Covidien. Dr. Hijjawi has a speaker’s bureau member relationship with LifeCell Corporation and a royalty recipient relationship with McGraw Hill Publishing. Dr. Salibian has nothing to disclose. Dr. Kenkel has a research support recipient relationship with ulthera, a research support recipient relationship with Ethicon Endo-Surgery/J&J, and a research support recipient relationship with Erchonia. Dr. Nahabedian has a speaker relationship with LifeCell Corporation/KCI. Dr. Pollock has a consultant relationship with Ethicon/J&J. Dr. Gusenoff has nothing to disclose. Dr. Aly has a consultant, speaker, advisor, and research support recipient relationship with Ehticon/J&J, a advisor relationship with Angiotech Pharmaceuticals, a advisor relationship with Incisive Surgical, Inc., a shareholder (excluding diversified mutual funds) relationship with Incisive Surgical, Inc., and a royalty relationship with QMP. Dr. Hamori has a speaker’s bureau member relationship with Dermik/Sanofi-Aventis. Dr. de la Pena has nothing to disclose. All ASPS staff members managing this activity have no relevant financial relationships or affiliations to disclose. All identified conflicts of interest have been resolved and the educational content thoroughly vetted by ASPS for fair balance, scientific objectivity, and appropriateness of patient care recommendations. The ASPS also requires faculty/authors to disclose when off-label/unapproved uses of a product are discussed in a CME activity or included in related materials.